Dining Out Sugar Free

Monday, March 26, 2012 0 comments
If you are new to completely removing sugar from your diet, dining out can prove difficult if not depressing. I've had to endure long periods of time when I thought there just weren't any options out there after inquiring about the ingredients to find out almost all had some sort of added sugar or sweetener. I felt I had to forgo many social events taking place at restaurants with friends. Now I've learned a variety of ways to stay on the sugar free diet and still meet up with my friends who love dining out in NYC.

The best method to please your body and social circle is to suggest a restaurant you know fits your diet restrictions. If the restaurant has already been chosen by your friends, call ahead and see if the restaurant is able to prepare any of their dishes without sugar If they can't, ask if you can bring in your own food since they are unable to accommodate your needs. If neither of these is a go, I eat in advance, and then just join in the conversation and order some sparkling water.

Another great option is to invite your friends over for dinner or a potluck. Light some candles and turn on music to help create ambiance. You'll all be eating healthier, as well as able to hear each other talk.



Best Bets for Dining Out Sugar Free

There are a variety of menu choices with Mediterranean restaurants since they tend to leave food in its natural state and only use olive oil and spices for seasonings. If the dish comes with rice, you can ask to substitute more salad or vegetables instead.

Turkish:
Baba ganoush (smoked eggplant) is always a favorite of mine. If you like spicy foods, try Ezme (roasted hot peppers, tomatoes, garlic and walnut puree). The marinated salmon wrapped in grape leaves chargrilled, served with mixed greens and lemon slices is my new favorite at AnTalia in midtown NYC. The salmon stays very juicy and is super flavorful. I also love that I don't have to ask to substitute anything in this dish! My other go to spot when guests are visiting and because it's close to Penn Station in Hell's Kitchen is Turkish Cuisine.

Greek:
Order a grilled fish and ask to double the salad and skip the rice. Uncle Nick's Greek Cuisine has also responded kindly to my questions and wishes.

Lebanese:
This swanky minimalist Lebanese spot, Naya Restaurant, will surely capture your taste buds. Try the Duo of Eggplant, Loubie, Malfouf or order a salad with Chicken Shish Taouk.

Indian:
I recommend Lamb Jalfrezi and Bhindi (okra) Masala. This okra dish at Agra Indian Restaurant on Lexington in NYC is hands down the best I've ever had. Watch out for the dishes heavy in potatoes and peas and skip the naan which are starches that will quickly turn to sugar during digestion. If you want an appetizer, order some Papadum (lentil cracker) if you are allowing some starch in your diet, lentils are your best option. Avoid dipping them into those tasty Tamarind and Coriander (red/brown and green) sauces or chutneys as they all have sugar in them. Some other Indian dishes do have added sugar in them so be sure to ask which ones are safe.

Chinese:
Lilli and Loo offers a gluten free menu. I ordered the chicken with broccoli and asked for no sugar as well. It tasted just as good as the regular version. I haven't found Chinese food that I could eat in a long time so I will definitely be returning!

Raw/Vegan:
Caravan of Dreams - Lots of tried and delicious options here as well as great live music during most evenings.
Candle 79 - I always order the Live Tomato-Zucchini Lasagna. The cashew cheese is divine!
Jivamukti Cafe - A hidden gem in the bustle of Union Square. All beans are made from dry beans to reduce sugar. I enjoy their hearty Yogi bowls. The Tumeric dressing is devoid of all sweeteners.
Rockin' Raw - When you order raw food, many things are named similarly, but do not resemble what you had in mind. This is the case with this place. However, their Fully Loaded Nachos are awesome. Their thick hand made flax crackers are tasty on their own or dipped into their nut cheese and seed meat which happen to be quite good alternatives.
Quintessence - My favorite new raw place. Please order the Scallion "Cheese" Roll which is pure nori wrapped goodness.

Spanish:
Gazpacho is a wonderful summer time meal. The cold Andalusian soup is made from vegetables, garlic and olive oil. I have fond memories of my mom making this for me growing up.

American Seafood Restaurants:
If you ask, many dishes can be prepared with just olive oil, garlic, herbs and spices.

Fast Food Options

Chipotle:
Chipotle is one of the healthiest options for fast food. Their meat is raised locally without antibiotics or added hormones and many of their vegetables are organic. I like what they are striving to be, but I just wish they would go all the way and not add sugar to their natural food. Currently, they grill their chicken and steak in a honey marinade. However, it's possible to get chicken or steak cooked fresh while you wait, without their standard honey marinade. I wanted to voice my disappointment to the manager regarding this and to my surprise, the manager at the 34th Street Chipotle offered to make me some fresh chicken with just lime, salt and oil. Of course, I had to take him up on the offer! If this is not offered to you, order a salad with only lettuce, either Barbacoa (beef) or Carnitas (pork), grilled onions and bell peppers, pico de gallo and guacamole. Note: The rice, beans, other meats and other salsas have sugar in them.

Pret a Manger:
Pick up a salad with the classic vinaigrette dressing. All other dressings have sugar in them. If you do choose the delicious chicken and avocado salad, be sure to pick out the dried cranberries which are loaded with sugar. Read more about dried fruit and sugar content.

Hampton Chutney:
When I first walked into Hampton Chutney in Soho, I immediately felt at home. The photos of Gurumayi amidst the peaceful and mildly hippie environment reminded me of growing up in California. They serve a wonderful, fresh modern version of the traditional Indian dosa. Unfortunately, you have to skip the chutneys as they are all made with sugar. If you cheat once in while with a thin crepe made from rice and lentils, splurge here.

Indian Dosas:

Saravana Bhavan - This global restaurant is touted to serve the best dosas. It is still on my list of places to try. An Indian friend, visiting from Paris, made sure to stop by here during her stay.

4food: 
4food offers so many choices that it's overwhelming at first. However, it's worth the patience. Try out these healthy sides - roasted brussels, spinach and garlic, artichoke hearts and braised fennel among 18 others!

dee daa:
This new Thai lunch spot is totally gluten, dairy and added sugar free. I say this because if you order rice or noodles you are consuming starches which I'm reminding you will quickly turn into sugar anyway. So order some lemongrass soup with classic dee daa salad.

Naya Express:
This is the sister hot spot to it's more formal restaurant, Naya Restaurant, which I mentioned above.

Numerous Salad Bars:

Order any salad, but be careful of the salad dressings, meats and nuts which may have added sugar.

The Juice Press:
The drinks here are so hearty, the may as well be a meal.




0 comments:

Post a Comment