How to Give in to Some Sugar

Monday, March 25, 2013 0 comments
This past weekend I took a road trip from New York City to Vermont to catch some late season snowboarding. Part of this journey included a visit to the famous Ben & Jerry's headquarters. 
Considering I don't consume sugar, how was I supposed to go about enjoying a visit with my friends to this amazing ice cream factory of which I had said goodbye to years before? On any other day, I would have resisted this suggestion in an attempt to thwart my temptation and jealousy. To stand in the headquarters of this visionary brand and watch watch my friends lick the delicious frozen treat would be too much. However, after meticulously gazing at every item in the store and fawning over the eclectic array of combinations presented on the menu boards, I gave in. After reading about the salty sweet mix of fudge covered potato chip clusters with caramel and vanilla bean ice cream, I had to try a taste of this new Late Night Snack flavor, plus I was at the headquarters and thought I might regret my trip if I didn't have at least a small bite. When the server scooped up a huge sample on the thin wooden taster strip of wood, I told him it was a bit too much for someone who was sugar and dairy free. He had probably never had someone tell him to make the sample smaller. He was very courteous and smiled as he handed me the revised stick along with two other flavors I'd never had before - Candy Bar Pie and Coconut Seven Layer Bar. Wow, a little rush of sugar and I was feeling very good with my decision to push aside my military sugar sergeant. I was so excited once I'd given in to the idea of a small taste that I went back in line and confidently asked the same guy for samples of two more flavors. This time I asked for my long time favorite, Chunky Monkey, and then another new flavor, Coffee Coffee Buzz Buzz. Oh, I was buzzing alright after that one! That coffee flavored ice cream with chocolate chunks is now my new favorite. 

It was such a revelation that I could enjoy a few small tastes and feel satisfied without eating an entire pint. I think I enjoyed my five samples more than my friends enjoyed their full cups of  ice cream since it was a special exception for myself and I didn't end up overeating and feeling sick like one of them did. Sometimes, I can be so hard core with myself in fear of falling off my strict no sugar diet, but now I realize that it's good to give in once in awhile, and that a couple bites of my favorite ice cream now give me more pleasure than they ever did before.






0 comments:

Post a Comment